Poetry

If ever there was a poetic fruit, pears are it. Possibly pomegranates, strawberries, peaches, grapes, and certainly mangoes. Well, there goes the plug for my poetic pear.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Zuppa Tuscana

I love this soup!  On a cold winter day (like today) when my nose feels perpetually cold, there is nothing better than to sit down and warm up with this soup.  (I think I have dinner planned for tomorrow!)  It is similar to the one at the Olive Garden restaurant.  I don't use kale in my soup, (though that is in the original recipe) because it upset my stomach.  I use chopped spinach instead (frozen is fine, but make sure all the water has drained from it). 
1 lb mild or spicy Italian sausage
1 medium onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
2 to 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 quart water +
2 TB chicken base or instant bouillon granules
2 med. potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 cups fresh shredded kale (I use chopped spinach)
1/8-1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional, I love it, but my kids... not so much.)
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream (or in a pinch, evaporated milk)

   1. In a large cooking pot or Dutch oven, brown sausage (can use sausage links, just cook through then bias-slice sausages into 1/2-inch slices;). Remove from pan;set aside. Drain fat.
   2. Saute onions in a little oil or butter til soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the water, chicken base and potatoes. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
   4. Return the cooked sausage and crumbled bacon to the pot. Add the kale, and simmer for 4 minutes. Stir in the cream and cook until heated through, without boiling. Serve hot.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.

This is great with crusty bread and Italian salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment