Poetry

If ever there was a poetic fruit, pears are it. Possibly pomegranates, strawberries, peaches, grapes, and certainly mangoes. Well, there goes the plug for my poetic pear.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Spicy Barley Lentil Soup

Have you ever heard of a meal exchange?  Several years ago a few of my best mom-friends swapped meals three times a week.  One day a week I cooked dinner for the three other families and my own (thankfully we all had small families at the time.  They would do the same.  I had three amazing dinners a week that I didn't have to cook!  AND I got the recipes for my collection.  I'll admit, not all the dinners were that great (mostly mine).  We all tried new recipes and had lots of fun testing it out on each other.  A few times, I ruined dinner for all of us and everyone got pizza instead!  The experience was so awesome though, and I loved every minute of it.  This is one of the recipes from that meal exchange.  (Liz D. always had great ones)
 PS:  It tastes WAY better than it sounds!

 1 1/2 lb Italian sausage
1 med. onion chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/3 c. Pearl Barley
8 c. chicken broth
1 c. lentils
12 oz. jar salsa (or fresh if you are superwoman.  I'm not... yet)
1 1 lb spinach, chopped

Crumble and brown sausage.  Take meat out.  Saute onion, garlic & barley in soup pot.  Add broth & lentils, bring to a boil.  Cover & simmer about 1 hour.  Add remaining ingredients.  Add spinach at last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment