Poetry

If ever there was a poetic fruit, pears are it. Possibly pomegranates, strawberries, peaches, grapes, and certainly mangoes. Well, there goes the plug for my poetic pear.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pizza Dough

This is the only pizza dough recipe I use now.  It is so delicious and chewy.  You can make it thin or thick crusted, it always tastes great!  I have to thank my sister Erin for this recipe! I usually triple the recipe for my family.  The dough freezes great!  I just put the individual portions in individual freezer baggies, then pull it out and let it defrost and raise before I roll it out and cook. 
1 tsp.  Yeast (I like rapid rise)
1/2 c. + 1 TB warm water
1 1/2 c. Flour
2 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1 TB Virgin olive oil
(+ 1 tsp. for coating bowl)

Directions
Dissolve yeast for 5-10 minutes in warm water.  Add oil.  Mix dry ingredients in bowl.  Make a well and pour liquids into center.  Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.  Lightly knead dough.  Dough should be slightly tacky.  Make dough into a ball and place in a glass bowl with oil.  Coat dough with oil and seal air tight (plastic wrap) until double size.  (about 1 1/2 - 2 hours) Punch down and reform ball.  Cover and put in fridge (overnight is best), take out 2 hours before cooking.  Cut into 2 equal portions.  Roll into small balls be sure to get air bubbles out.  Allow each to rise (airtight) to double.  Roll out on floured surface 1/2 inch thick.  Form a lip around crust.  Add toppings and bake 8-10 minutes at 450 or 500*. (I love my pizza stone for this recipe!) Makes 2 personal size (thick crust) pizzas.

***My favorite toppings mimic the California Pizza BBQ chicken recipe.  I marinate cooked chicken in Famous Dave's Sweet and Tangy sauce (Use your favorite BBQ sauce) while I'm making the dough.  Then I add more sauce on the dough, the chicken pieces, Mozzarella cheese, a little bit of smoked Gouda cheese (when I can get it), finely chopped red onions, and a little bit of cilantro.  Or if I'm in a pinch, I just used the BBQ chicken and mozzarella cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment