Poetry

If ever there was a poetic fruit, pears are it. Possibly pomegranates, strawberries, peaches, grapes, and certainly mangoes. Well, there goes the plug for my poetic pear.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Rice pudding

I have combined and omitted ingredients from all my different Rice Pudding recipes.  I think this is my latest version.  My oldest daughter LOVES this, and requests it a lot.



2 c. cooked rice
2 c. milk
1/2 can (abt 6 ox.) evaporated milk
1/2 c. raisins (I don't put raisins in mine, because daughter hates them, but I do sprinkle them on top when I serve it to my hubby)
1 TB. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 c. sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten (or 3 egg whites)
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

Scald the milks together in a small saucepan.  In a heavy pot combine cornstarch, salt, and sugar and blend well.  Stir in milk.  Stir constantly over medium heat until thick and smooth.  Remove from heat, and slowly pour about 1 cup of milk to the eggs (be careful so they don't scramble) stirring rapidly.  Slowly stir eggs back into hot milk over medium heat.  Stir until thickened. Add spices and rice.  Mix well and remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla and raisins.  Chill (or eat warm) and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment