Poetry

If ever there was a poetic fruit, pears are it. Possibly pomegranates, strawberries, peaches, grapes, and certainly mangoes. Well, there goes the plug for my poetic pear.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Coconut Nut Frosting

My mother-in-law used to make this for my husband's birthday cake when he was little.  It's got a lot more substance than the canned frosting, although I love that stuff too.


3 egg yolks
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 c. sugar
1 cube butter
1 pkg. (14 oz) coconut
1/2 c. nuts, (I like pecan or almonds)

Beat eggs, milk, sugar, and butter very well over medium heat.  (Warm slowly to boiling to avoid scrambling eggs) Cook until think and sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat.  Add coconut and nuts until desired thickness.  Cool completely before frosting cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment