Poetry

If ever there was a poetic fruit, pears are it. Possibly pomegranates, strawberries, peaches, grapes, and certainly mangoes. Well, there goes the plug for my poetic pear.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Peach Syrup

Anticipating my mom's warm peach syrup on top of buttered waffles or pancakes is one of my favorite weekend morning memories.  I think my mom invented this recipe as a way to utilize all of her canned peaches and to stretch the food budget for our large family.  It's still my favorite waffle topping. Try it with the Super Fluffy Waffles, and expect peach pieces in this syrup (my favorite part).  It's also good on vanilla ice cream.  And the left overs are perfect for a dump peach cobbler.  Play with the quantities to suit your tastes.
1/2 c. sugar
1 can (30 oz.) diced or cling peaches with juice (I use cling, then just cut them up. It's a bit cheaper.)
pinch of salt
1 TB vanilla
1/4 c. brown sugar
water
corn starch
nutmeg
pat of butter

Mix sugars, salt and peaches in pan on stove top, medium heat.   Fill empty peach can 1/4 full of corn starch then fill nearly to the top with water.  Mix well and add slowly to the peaches, stirring constantly.  Stir until thick.  Season to taste (I like about a half a tsp of freshly grated nutmeg with mine.  I don't know the equivalent in pre-grated nutmeg, but really, you can't really go wrong with nutmeg, right?  My mom sometimes added cinnamon.  I prefer it without.)  Add vanilla.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment