Poetry

If ever there was a poetic fruit, pears are it. Possibly pomegranates, strawberries, peaches, grapes, and certainly mangoes. Well, there goes the plug for my poetic pear.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Kielbasa and Cabbage

I found this recipe on All Recipes (allrecipes.com: kielbasa and cabbage) and I modified it to fit my needs.  Let me just say, this is comfort food heaven! Every time I make this dish, I think "It can't really be that simple. Am I forgetting something?" But it has turned out every single time. I have made it with chopped potatoes (slightly "baked" first in the microwave) and shredded carrots, and it's always delicious! My favorite is definitely served on top of hot buttered egg noodles. Pictures to come.


Ingredients
6 slices bacon
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 head of cabbage, chopped (or I like to use 1 large bag of coleslaw mix without the dressing)
1 pound Polish kielbasa
Hot buttered egg noodles

Directions
In a large skillet, fry bacon over medium high heat until browned, turning once. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings, and place on paper towels.
Stir water, sugar, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and seasoned salt into drippings. Add cabbage, and gently stir. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
Add kielbasa to the pan. Cook, covered, for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Crumble bacon over top, and serve hot over noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment