Poetry

If ever there was a poetic fruit, pears are it. Possibly pomegranates, strawberries, peaches, grapes, and certainly mangoes. Well, there goes the plug for my poetic pear.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Raisin Cream Pie

My husband LOVES raisins in his treats.  This pie is his absolute favorite.  I'm not a huge fan of cooked raisins in my desserts, but I love this pie, too.  I think you could probably substitute coconut or bananas for the raisins and make those varieties, but I haven't tried it.  Let me know if you do, and if it turned out for you!

2 c. milk
3/4 c. brown sugar
4 TB cornstarch
1/4 c. milk
2 egg yolks, beaten.
1 c. cooked raisins
1 TB. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Scald 2 cups of milk.  Mix together brown sugar, cornstarch, milk, egg yolks and slowly add to milk, stirring constantly (so the eggs don't scramble).  Cook until thick.  Add raisins, butter, and vanilla.  Pour into a 9 inch baked crust.  Chill.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, we make a very similar pie, Calvin's favorite. One time he said it would be perfect if the raisins were left out so now I cook it until the end and then strain out the raisins - Hence our raisinless raisin pie. I also tried it with a pecan pie crust. Oh my, that is lovely.

    ReplyDelete