Poetry

If ever there was a poetic fruit, pears are it. Possibly pomegranates, strawberries, peaches, grapes, and certainly mangoes. Well, there goes the plug for my poetic pear.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Orange Chicken

I was in the mood for some chinese food, but I just couldn't place my craving... so I looked online until I found a picture of something that made my mouth water.  Then I modified the recipe to fit my taste and my pantry.  I consider it a notable success.  Yummy yummy yummy! 

2 TB olive oil
2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed

Sauce:
2/3 cup warm water
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. orange juice (freshly squeezed if possible)
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. ketchup (yes... ketchup)
2 TB white vinegar
8 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (double this if you like a lot of spice)
1/2 tsp ginger powder
2 tsp grated orange peel

2 tsp cornstarch
2 TB. cold water

In a bowl, stir together the sauce ingredients until sugar is dissolved. (*not the cornstarch and 1/4 c. water... yet)  (Now would be a good time to start cooking some nice sticky rice... it complements the meal perfectly)

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over med. heat.  Cook the chicken until the center is no longer pink and the outside has browned. (about10 minutes).  Pour the sauce mix over the chicken.  Bring to a boil, then simmer on med-low heat for about 8-10 minutes, stirring often.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Whisk the cornstarch and water together until smooth, then stir into the chicken and sauce VERY slowly, stirring constantly.  Cook until desired consistency (shouldn't take more than a few minutes...if that).  Garnish with chopped green onion for an extra lovely flavor and of course the fantastic contrasting color.

No comments:

Post a Comment