Poetry

If ever there was a poetic fruit, pears are it. Possibly pomegranates, strawberries, peaches, grapes, and certainly mangoes. Well, there goes the plug for my poetic pear.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Chocolate Bon-bons

Oh these little chocolate treats come straight from heaven!  They are so delicious!  My mom makes these for Christmas sometimes, and her Mom made them, too.  These are so amazing.  My mom does not put nuts on hers, but until there is a whole almond on top, I just don't feel like these are complete. 
Ingredients
* 2 (7-8 oz) chocolate bars (these are the giant bars.  My Mom uses the plain Symphony bars.  I use the toffee and almond Symphony bars, because they are exquisite!)
*  1 8 oz. tub of cool whip, thawed
*  Nilla Wafer crumbs (I usually blend the entire box, but I always have leftovers.  It's hard to coat the bon-bons otherwise)

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over Med-low heat. (or melt slowly in the Microwave at medium heat, stirring frequently).  Let the chocolate cool slightly. (Not harden, though). Fold in the thawed Cool Whip. (If the chocolate is too hot, it will turn the cool whip into a liquid-y mess).  Spoon a small ball of chocolate into the crumbs. Coat and roll into a ball.  Set out on wax paper.  Put a whole almond on the bon-bons (optional, of course). Let the bon-bons harden/set (an hour or two) and then refrigerate in a air-tight container.

Note:  I have noticed that the weather seems to affect how stiff these bon-bons set up.  Sometimes I just can't get them to set up without refrigerating/freezing them.  Sometimes I have no problems.  If that is the case, let them partially freeze or cool down on a flat surface (ie. cookie sheet) before putting them into another container.  Otherwise you'll end up with a mess.  Also,frequently my almonds do not want to stay put on the crumb coating.  You can dip the almond into some melted chocolate before sticking it on top, if you want.  I usually don't bother with it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment