Poetry

If ever there was a poetic fruit, pears are it. Possibly pomegranates, strawberries, peaches, grapes, and certainly mangoes. Well, there goes the plug for my poetic pear.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Lizzy R, (one of my favorite people EVER) brought me this Chicken Pot Pie once.  Now I'll admit, I graciously (and thankfully) took it, but I am not usually a fan of chicken pot pie.  At least I wasn't before I had this.  This is a very comforting recipe filled with vegetables and chicken.  Yummy!  This recipe makes two pies, one for now, one for the freezer for later.  Perfect!
2 cups diced potatoes (I never peel mine, but I make sure I scrub them really well)
1-3/4 cups slice carrots
1 onion, chopped
1 c. butter
1 c. all-purpose flour
1-3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp pepper
3 c. chicken broth
1-1/2 c. milk
4 c. cubed cooked chicken
1 c. frozen peas
1 c. frozen corn
pastry for two double-crust pies (9 in)

Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 mins.  Drain and set aside.  In a large skillet saute onion in butter until tender.  Stir in flour, salt, thyme and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in  broth and milk.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened.  Add the rest of the ingredients, (except the pie crust, of course), and remove from heat.
Line two 9-in pie plates with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Fill pastry shells with filling. Top with other pastry; trim, seal and flute edges.  Cut slits in pastry top.  Bake one pie at 425* for 35-40 minutes.  (use tin-foil on the edges if you want to keep them from getting too brown.) Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. 
For frozen potpie: put tin foil on the edges of the pie crusts.  Bake at 425* for 30 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350* and bake 70 minutes longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment